Site MapCompany InformationContact Us

WhoCanISue.comFamily Divorce

How Long Are the Parties Bound by a Marital Separation Agreement?


A marital separation agreement is a legal document that is binding in a court of law between the couple. The document will be binding for many years after the divorce and will determine different factors of your divorce such as child support payments, child custody, and will explain your rights and obligations. The only way to change any of the aspects of the marital agreement is for both parties to agree to the changes and file it with the court. The court can then modify the agreement.  If you are interested in changing an existing marital separation agreement you should contact a divorce lawyer to file in the motion in court for you.

The court, however, can make changes to the marital separation agreement at any time when it comes to the welfare of the child/children of the divorce with or without the party’s agreement.

In many cases, the marital separation agreement will end after all the issues in the legal document have been met such as the children are grown, the alimony is no longer needed or the time period is up on receiving alimony, and so on and so forth. If your martial separation agreement is about to end a divorce lawyer may be able to extend the court's decision.

In order to learn your rights with regard to marital separation agreements consulting a divorce lawyer in your state will help you create the agreement while ensuring your rights and the rights of your children are protected.

Sponsored Links

WhoCanISue.comFamily Divorce

Copyright ©2017 WCIS Media, LLC. All rights reserved
Site Design, Search Engine Optimization, & Content provided by Digital Footprint Media.
VOIP & Data Services Provided by DLJ Management .
The content contained on the web site has been prepared for WCIS Media LLC as a value-add service to it’s legal and medical professionals network, in addition to it’s internet community and in no way is it intended to constitute legal advice or a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional in a particular case or circumstance.