My Spouse Filed for Divorce, Should I Contact a Divorce Lawyer?
Consulting with a divorce lawyer can be the best option for anyone on the verge of going through the difficult process of filing for divorce. This can especially be true when you are not the one filing for divorce. A divorce lawyer will be able to answer all questions you might have regarding the process of filing for divorce and the other limitless disputes that occur. Filing for divorce can be lengthy and arduous process for anyone, and a divorce lawyer will be able to ease some of the stress associated with the divorce, while limiting the losses you may expose yourself to when filing for divorce. A divorce lawyer will also help his or her client with alimony arrangements, the division of assets, child custody arrangements, child support arrangements, and other important items, which are even more aggressively disputed than the decision to divorce in the first place.
Choosing a Divorce Lawyer to Divorce My Spouse
After you are served with divorce papers, you will need to begin the search for a divorce lawyer, which can be stressful and lengthy process if you are not prepared for filing for divorce. When beginning a search for a divorce lawyer, you should ask numerous questions that a good divorce attorney could immediately answer about filing for divorce. Make a list of all the potential lawyers to hire and begin meeting with each one for a consultation about filing for divorce. When consulting with a lawyer for the first time you should ask the following questions about filing for divorce:
- If I divorce my spouse, what will the process involve to divorce my spouse?
- Is there any waiting periods for me to divorce my spouse?
- How long have you been practicing as a divorce lawyer?
- What percentage of your cases deal with filing for divorce?
- Are there any issues or problems that can affect my intentions to divorce my spouse?
- How much do your divorce lawyer services cost and when will I be billed?
- How often can we meet to discuss my filing for divorce case?
- How is the filing for divorce process handled in jurisdiction where I will divorce my spouse?
- Is there a specific alternative we can use to divorce my spouse that may prove more beneficial, such as mediation or arbitration?
Once your questions are answered by each divorce lawyer, sit down and review the benefits and detriments of each. Sift through the list and narrow it down to three lawyers to help you with filing for divorce. Meet with these three divorce lawyers one more time and make sure you feel comfortable in their presence. From these three divorce lawyers you can pick the one who will represent you when filing for divorce.
What Will a Good Divorce Lawyer Exhibit?
A good divorce lawyer, one in which gets the job done effectively, will exhibit the following characteristics when filing for divorce:
- The divorce lawyer will help the client understand and focus on the issues at hand (filing for divorce) without losing sight of the emotions of the proceedings.
- The divorce lawyer will help prepare the client for court appearances well in advance of the court dates.
- The divorce lawyer will answer the client’s questions promptly, courteously, and will not make the client feel stupid for asking anything about filing for divorce.
- The divorce lawyer will also provide tips and ideas on how to lower the cost of some legal fees when filing for divorce.
Establishing a Relationship with Your Divorce Lawyer
One of the most important aspects of working with a divorce lawyer after filing for divorce is to develop a relationship with the lawyer you have hired. Developing a working relationship with your lawyer can mean the difference between winning your divorce case and having all of your assets go to your spouse after filing for divorce. After the lawyer has been hired, the two of you should meet and establish ground rules to ensure that the both of you are on the same page regarding filing for divorce. Another important tip is to establish how the two of you will communicate during the case. Many people complain that their divorce lawyer does not return their call, which is why a line of communication should be established when filing for divorce. That line of communication can be through the telephone, email, or face-to-face meetings. When a problem with communication arises, it can typically be attributed to the divorce lawyer being in court or meeting with other clients. Leave a message with the secretary and call again later.
Why Should I Divorce My Spouse?
The question posed here can be one of the most difficult questions to ask oneself when contemplating filing for divorce. Consulting with a divorce lawyer might be able to answer this question for you or help you realize what positives can come from filing for divorce. Deciding to begin filing for divorce spouse can be an incredibly difficult decision and should not be made on a whim because of one major argument between the couple. A divorce lawyer will be able to recommend filing for divorce or recommend against divorce after meeting with the client and discussing the case. The reasons for filing for divorce from your spouse should include irreconcilable differences, unfaithfulness, and any other reasons that affect the marriage from working effectively. When thinking about filing for divorce, one should not take the opinion of one person to heart and base their decision solely on that one opinion. This is a serious, life changing decision that should be discussed with family members and a divorce lawyer.